Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Dead hard drive.

I have tried to run the Maxtor Hard Drive Self -checking utility (with Chris's suggestion) , and the drive is not good.

We have tried to put the hard drive in another computer yesterday, it is not even starting.

I also checked the order you made yesterday, and that hard drive is supposed to come tomorrow, I am going to swap my drive into that USB box, and I hope this at least will make the main computer with good drive boot.

I am suggesting the following steps:

1> If the drive is readable , we can simply copy the data out. ( I seriously doubt on that).
2> If the drive is not readable, we can try the GetDataBack, the good thing about this is that you can check how much files you can recover before buying the license code. (Scan is free, and copying needs license).
3> If 2> doesn't work, I read some posts that some people successfully get the data out by freezing the hard drive overnight, I will give it a try.
4> If nono of them work, then I probably have to rewrite some codes. As I told you guys, most of my codes are in source safe, especially important ones, but there are still quite a few recent updates not in source safe , and some utility programs I wrote. I will spend some extra hours to do some code recovering from my brain.

But I think Dave and you have much more experiences on that, so give me hints if you guys have.

I will take this afternoon off, and work on Saturday morning.

No comments: