Friday, January 13, 2006

PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database

PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database

I was working on the project to read and write in the WKB format, and was not able to do a good testing. As always , I went to sourceforge to find some information. The WKB4J I found there suggested using the PostgreSQL database. But it seemed to me it's pretty difficult to plug in the postGIS into the engine. I am not a guru of the make file, though I knew it's an essential part to become a good C++ programmer.

It turned out that in the installation package, there was an choice to let you choose whether you want to include the PostGIS part or not, if you choose yes, everything will be ready to go after you finish the installation. It was a beauty.

The PostgreSQL engine also gets strong command support (much like the SSEUtil.exe I played with the SQL server express) and nice GUI.

Open-source projects sometimes are much better than most shity proprietary work.

No comments: