Sunday, January 21, 2007

check in the test project in Google code.

Use some kind of source safe control is not only for backing up the source code, it can also show you the history of the project evolvement.

I have heard of the Google code before, but never tried it before. It uses the subversion to do the source control, which I have tried to check out a couple of open source project from SVN.

I have never tried to host my own project before. So, I want to give it a try.

The tools I am using TortoiseSVN, which also has a sibling called TortoiseSVN. Both are very handy tools.

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Create a project on google code.
2. Right Click the project folder , and select "Import " to check the source code into the google code repository. It will prompt for the url , use the http://**.**.**/trunck.
3. After the codes were imported into to the server, I tried to make some changes to the code, but it gave me an error (MKCOL405) when I tried to make some changes and commit the changes.
4. So, I deleted the original project, and tried to check out the project from the svn. It created a little folder (.svn) under the project folder. I believe it has all the information which the TortoiseSVN tool needed to communicate with the server.
5. Now, it seems that I can make the changes, update the server, and compare the changes.


No comments: